2. Town residents, and residents of nearby towns
How might a Wal-Mart representative respond to the negative criticisms that might be brought up, what other benefits could the representative offer the planning board to bolster Wal-Mart’s case for gaining the board’s approval?
Pro and cons of owner of small businesses located nearby
1. Improve surrounding economy, because it provided jobs for hundreds of workers who would normally have commuted to other places.
2. surrounding restaurants and specialty shops that were not direct competitors will get increase on sales
3. Wal-Mart and stores like it add to the quality of life in large and small communities because they provide consumer choices that otherwise would not be available
4. Supports and uses best of best technology to create efficient employee practices
1. Walmart existence disruptive to small business
2. Walmart can change the wholefabric and tenor of a community
3. Wal-Mart's growth negatively impact worker's wages
4. The Cost of Wal-Mart's entry into a community can be significant
5. Wal-Mart hurts other businesses when it comes to town.
6. Almost monopsony in the market
7. Market control is too vast ' when Wal-Mart moves, so do many others 8. Has put thousands of US based companies out of business by low prices o Importing goods from foreign countries for extremely low costs makes it nearly impossible for the US factories and manufactures of appliances and electronics to compete with the US standard of living and employee benefits plus the cost of raw materials 9. Vastly invests USD into foreign markets, ultimately attributing to the weakening dollar 10. Provides poor standards for there employees, with extremely low benefits, and low respect for employees themselves. o This may be a radicalist view at providing value to the shareholders, there needs to be some middle ground that allows the company to grow on more things than competitive prices. Wal-Mart has one of the highest employee turnover rates above industry counterparts.
Pro and cons of town residents, and residents of nearby towns
1. Wal-Mart is beneficial...