Corina De La Cerda
Mr. Lee / science
November 26 , 2011
1) What factors determine the type of volcanic eruption?
Amount of dissolved gases from the magma
2) List the materials ejected from volcanoes
Lava, Broken rocks, Lava bombs, Fine ash, Dust, and Large amounts of gas
3) Describe the three types of volcanoes.
Fluid basaltic lava
Broad, slightly domed structure
Grow from the ocean floor (creates islands)
Cinder cones have a simple shape
Eject lava fragments
Very simple shape
Earths most beautiful and potentially dangerous volcano
Very large, nearly symmetrical structure
The product of gas-rich magma
4) What is a caldera?
A large depression in a volcano
5) Compare the formation of a plateau with the formation of a cinder cone. They form the same, but the cinder cone ends up having a big hoe in the middle of it, and a lava plateau ends up with just the lava that hardened inside the pipe.
6) What type of eruption produces a viscous magma containing 53 percent silica and a gas content of 2 percent? Basaltic
7) If a pyroclastic flow was traveling 145 kilometers per hour, how long would it take to reach a town 2.5 kilometers from the volcanoes crater? 58 seconds
1) How are the locations of a volcano related to plate boundaries?
The plate boundaries motions provide the mechanism by which mantle rocks melt to generate magma.
2) What causes intraplate volcanism?
Material called a mantle plume rises toward the surface.
3) Where is most of magma produced on Earth on a yearly basis?
The mid-ocean ridges
4) What is the Ring of Fire?
The concentration of volcanoes encircling the Pacific basin.
5) What are the differences between volcanic island arcs and continental volcanic arcs?
A volcanic island arc is a volcano that started at the ocean floor and arose...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document