Visual Analysis of Mediated Images
Though a visual may be analysed in many ways, of late a convention has been established to study under Six major schools of thought.
1. The personal perspective deals with an emotional subjective opinion. ‘What do I think of the picture’. It’s the first response or first thought that crosses your mind on viewing the picture. It bears personal bias and prejudices. 2. The historical perspective helps to determine the importance of the work based on the time period that it was created in. ‘When was this created? What was the social setup at that period of time? 3. The technical perspective tries to draw a relation b/w the medium and the message. ‘What medium has been used to create the message? How has the creator expressed himself through the medium chosen. 4. The ethical perspective looks at the moral and ethical responsibilities of the artist. ‘What are the moral responsibilities of the creator? Is his portrayal of the image ethical? 5. The cultural perspective relates the symbols used in the image to the society. ‘What symbols has the creator used? What is the message conveyed by them? 6. The critical perspective is a rational conclusion that the viewer draws from the image. It is a personal reaction though free of bias and prejudice. ‘What have I concluded after critically analyzing the picture? How different was my first opinion from the second? Aim of Critical analysis: A producer of messages must have an understanding of the culture of the audience and use symbols that are comprehensible by them. It helps a viewer understand, interpret and appreciate art. List all the Objects and Elements
One must notice all the objects and elements in the picture and draw a distinction between the most important and the less important. The placements of elements gives a sense of movement within the picture hence the positioning of objects must be noted. Centre, left, right, top and bottom. Shadows and lighting suggest what part is in focus and give a sense of depth. The location helps in interpretation of the message. One must categorize the purpose as news, art, personal, or any other. The List
• 4 girls
• Old building
• Small boys
Placement of Objects
• Foreground: Girls in centre
• Background: Water + Kids (left) playing
• Background: Brightly lit Building on the right
• Background: High contrast / Darker building behind the boys The girls in the centre are the subject of the picture. The water in the background seems to be coming from a nearby hose pipe or fire hydrant. The girls seem drenched in water. One can see small boys still playing in the water in the background.
Study visual cues
Shadows and lighting
•Illuminated building on right hand side
•Light source is in front of the girls at an angle above them •Building behind the boys is in shady region
The light and shadow suggests its little after 15:00 hours. It sets the mood of summer and playful indulgence of kids by drenching themselves. There is a sense of innocence.
Study visual cues...
•Objective- perception of colour & its characteristics •Comparative- association of colour with objects, events, emotions •Subjective- Every different colour has different associations in different cultures and societies. •The girls dark complexion.
•The light shades worn suggests summer season.
•The dark shades suggests old and shanty town.
The triangle shape of the girls is a dynamic shape. its base gives a sense of stability. They are also in a group and seem like a whole unit.
The buildings give a sense of serenity and form the base for the girls that seem in front of it.
'Eight' depth Cues
Many representational visual texts give a very strong feeling of depth despite the fact that they are painted on flat surfaces that lack any depth.
In trying to depict depth, there are several restrictions on the techniques that an artist can...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document