Unit 1: Exploring Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk • Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly • When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference • Then, go to www.vision2learnforschools.com and send your completed Assessment to your teacher via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Name: Omar Sokhna
1. What is meant by diversity?
Diversity is a commitment to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes and celebrates individual and collective achievement.
Examples of these characteristics are: age; cognitive style; culture; disability (mental, learning, physical); economic background; education; ethnicity; gender identity; geographic background; language(s) spoken; marital/partnered status; physical appearance; political affiliation; race; religious beliefs; sexual orientation.
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of:
• Personal, social and cultural identities.
▪ The community that I live in have a high percentage of cultural identities i.e. Polish, British, Asian and Africans. We are all of mixed ages due to the fact that Neasden was known as a different beliefs resort which brought in all the older generation with different beliefs such as Christians, Muslim and others to which stayed in the area. Christians believe in Jesus (chrismas, God the father, God the Son - Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit). Muslims believe that there is only one God called Allah, The Qur’an and Mohamed is the messenger of Allah etc. Muslims also believe that the women should wear hijaab and cover themselves properly. In my community work brings in a lot of people due to the power station and the industrial estates also the work of other professions i.e. care services businesses ect.
3. Explain how the variations in question 2 contribute to the diversity of the community.
4. Give some examples to explain how diversity:
• Enhances your life
• Enhances the local community
• Enhances this country.
5. Describe what it means to respect people’s differences and why it is important to respect differences.
6. For a person you know, describe the individual factors that make him / her who they are.
|Defining factors |Brief description | |Physical characteristics | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |Emotions | | | | | |...