VECTOR & RELATIVE VELOCITY
1. What is the total displacement of a trip in which a person travels 10 km[N] and then 24 km[E]?
2. What is the total displacement of a trip of 50 km[W] followed by a trip of 100 km[N30°E]?
3. What is the total displacement of a trip of 100 km[N30°E] followed by a trip of 50 km[W]? What is significant about the result when compared to the answer for question 2?
4. A small boy goes to a store 2 blocks[N], 3 blocks[E], l block[S], 5 blocks[W], 4 blocks[S] and then 2 blocks[E]. What is the total displacement of his trip?
1. A baseball pitcher is warming up as he travels to a game by plane. The plane is flying at 400 km/h[W] relative to the ground. The pitcher throws a ball at 150 km/h relative to the airplane. What is the ball's velocity relative to the ground, if the pitcher throws the ball towards a) The front of the plane?
b) The rear of the plane?
2. A jet plane travelling horizontally at 1200 km/h relative to the ground fires a rocket forwards at 1100 km/h relative to itself. What is the velocity of the rocket relative to the ground?
3. A bowler is practising his game on a railway flatcar travelling at 50 km/h[N] relative to the ground. If the ball's velocity relative to the flatcar is 60 km/h[S], what is its velocity relative to the ground?
4. A boat is travelling upstream at 5 km/h[N] relative to the shore. If there is a current of 7 km/h[S], what is the boat's velocity relative to the water?
1. A swimmer jumps into a river and swims straight for the other side at 1.5 km/h[N] relative to the water. There is a current in the river of 2.0 km/h[W]. What is the swimmer's velocity relative to the shore?
2. A conductor in a train travelling at 12.0 km/h[N] walks across the aisle at 5.0 km/h[E] relative to the train. What is his velocity relative to the ground?
3. A mouse is crawling inside a cart that is being pushed across the deck of a moving boat. The mouse is moving at 0.5 m/s[E] relative to the cart. The cart is travelling at l .2 m/s[E] relative to the surface of the boat, and the boat is moving at 4.0 m/s[N] relative to the water. What is the velocity of the mouse relative to the water?
1. A plane has a velocity of 300 km/h relative to the air. If the pilot points the plane straight north, when there is a wind of 80 km/h blowing towards the west, what will the resultant velocity of the plane be?
2. An airplane pilot checks her instruments and finds that the speed of the plane relative to the air is 325 km/h. The instruments also show that the plane is pointed in a direction [S3O°W]. A radio report indicates that the wind velocity is 80 km/h[W]. What is the velocity of the plane relative to the ground as recorded by an air traffic controller in a nearby airport?
3. A blimp pilot wants to travel north. The blimp can move at 26 km/h in still air. There is a wind of l0 km/h[E]. a) What is the heading? (That is, which way should the pilot point the blimp?) b) How fast will the blimp travel relative to the ground?
4. An airplane pilot wants to fly east. The plane has a velocity of 500 km/h relative to the air. A wind is blowing at 50.0 km/h[N]. Calculate a) The proper heading,
b) The magnitude of the plane's velocity relative to the ground.
1. A plane flying a triangular pattern flies l50 km[N], then 400 km[E]. a) What is its total displacement after these two legs? b) What third displacement would complete the trip back to the starting point?
2. A boat sails 120 km[E60°N], then 60 km[W]. What is its displacement?
3. A balloon drifts 20 km[S60°E], then its engines are turned on and it flies 20 km[S60°W]. What is its total displacement?
4. A man inside a plane flying at 400 km/h[W] fires a gun eastwards. The muzzle velocity of the gun is 450 km/h. What is the velocity of the bullet relative to the ground?
Please join StudyMode to read the full document