Value Stream Mapping Definition
• Value Stream Mapping (VSM):
– Special type of flow chart that uses symbols known as "the language of Lean" to depict and improve the flow of inventory and information.
Value Stream Mapping Purpose
• Provide optimum value to the customer through a complete value creation process with minimum waste in: – Design (concept to customer) – Build (order to delivery) – Sustain (in-use through life cycle to service)
• Many organizations pursuing “lean” conversions have realized that improvement events alone are not enough • Improvement events create localized improvements, value stream mapping & analysis strengthens the gains by providing vision and plans that connect all improvement activities • Value stream mapping & analysis is a tool that allows you to see waste, and plan to eliminate it 4
What Is Value?
• A capability provided to a customer
– of the highest quality, – at the right time, – at an appropriate price,
as defined by the customer.
• "Value" is what the customer is buying
What Is Value Stream Analysis?
Planning tool to optimize results of eliminating waste
current state VSM future state VSM
Value Steam Mapping Steps
Next Future State
Apply Five Simple Principles
• Specify value from the standpoint of end customer • Identify the value stream for each product family • Make the product flow • So the customer can pull • As you manage toward perfection VALUE Perfection
What is the Value that Flows?
Specify value from the standpoint of the end customer Ask how your current products and processes disappoint your customer’s value expectation: • • • • • price? quality? reliable delivery? rapid response to changing needs? ??? 9
"ITEMS" flow through a value stream
– In manufacturing, materials are...