Definition of Value Chain Analysis
- The value chain analysis means of increasing customer satisfaction and managing cost more effectively. This is a systematic approach to examining the development of competitive advantage. Value chain analysis is particularly useful tool for looking at competitors, and identifying sources of competitive advantage
Primary activities of Value Chains Analysis are directly concerned with the production or delivery of a product of services and consist of:
1. Inbound Logistics refer to activities such as receiving, storing and distributing the inputs to the product or service. E.g. materials handling and stock control
2. Operations conversion of the various inputs into final product or services
3. Outbound Logistics to collect, to provide storage and the distribution of the product. E.g. warehousing and transport
4. Marketing and Sales promotion of product or service to consumers. E.g. advertising costs and selling and distribution costs
5. Service activities which enhance and maintain value of the product. E.g. training and installation
The primary activities are supported by secondary activities which help to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of primary activities and consist of:
1. Firm's Infrastructure consist of the organizational structure, the system of planning finance and quality control
2. Human Resource Management it involves the recruitment, training, remuneration and incentives and development of the manpower of the organization
3. Technology Development involves the product design or process which makes up the innovation activity of the organization such as research and development
4. Procurement the process of acquiring the various inputs to the primary activities
Example of a company is Pizza Hut.
B. How the Value Chain Analysis can help a company determine its uses for strategic resource allocation
Cite This Essay
(2007, 09). Value Chain Analysis. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2007, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Value-Chain-Analysis-120494.html
"Value Chain Analysis" StudyMode.com. 09 2007. 09 2007 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Value-Chain-Analysis-120494.html>.
"Value Chain Analysis." StudyMode.com. 09, 2007. Accessed 09, 2007. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Value-Chain-Analysis-120494.html.