• Inbound logistics: the receiving and warehousing of raw materials, and theirs distribution to manufacturing as they are required.
• Operations: the processes of transforming inputs into finished products and services.
• Outbound logistics: the warehousing and distribution of finished products.
• Marketing and sales: the identification of customer needs and the generation of sales.
• Service: the support of customers after the products and services are sold to them.
These primary activities are supported by:
• The infrastructure of the firm: organizational structure, corporate culture, control systems, etc.
• Human resource management: employee recruiting, hiring, training, development and compensation.
• Technology and development: technologies that can support value-creating activities.
• Procurement: purchasing inputs such as materials, supplies and equipments.
DELL INC. Value Chain Analysis
Here goods are received from a company's suppliers. They are stored until they are needed on the production/assembly line. Goods are moved around the organization. Dell relies mostly on its highly reliable supplier, where Dell streamlines its operation and relies on its computer monitor supplier to ship directly to the customer. As long as its supplier retains its leadership position, Dell would collaborate with it to achieve mutual success.
This is where goods are manufactured or assembled. Every Dell system is built to order. Customers get exactly what they want. Dell uses knowledge gained from direct customer contact before and after the sale to provide award-winning reliability and tailored customer service.
When Dell introduced the direct model, its competitors were selling computers to end consumers via distributors. Dell, on the other hand, sells directly to consumers and is continuously communicating with them and benefiting,... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 07). Value Chain. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Value-Chain-157344.html
"Value Chain" StudyMode.com. 07 2008. 07 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Value-Chain-157344.html>.
"Value Chain." StudyMode.com. 07, 2008. Accessed 07, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Value-Chain-157344.html.