5. Understand the importance of using Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in the prevention and control of infections. 5.1 demonstrate correct use of PPE: - Have the responsibility to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) Appropriately to avoid contamination as far as possible
5.2 describe different types of PPE
* Gloves- protect hands
* Gowns/aprons-protect skin and/or clothing
* Masks and respirators- protect mouse/
* Respirators- protect respiratory tract from airborne infectious agents. * Goggles- protect eyes
* Face shields- protect face, mouth, nose, and eyes.
5.3 Explain the reasons for use PPE
* Personal protective equipment reduces, but does not completely eliminate, the Risk of acquiring an infection. It is important that it is used effectively, correctly And at all times where contact with blood and body fluids of patients may occur. 5.4 State current relevant regulations and legislations relating to PPE. * Employees are responsible to use PPE appropriate and as instructed by employer. An employee has to check PPE before and after use and have to report any damage. * Ensuring employees who store and handle dangerous substances are properly trained. * Using appropriate precautions when handling substances- for example, wearing protective clothing or ensuring adequate ventilation. * Checking containers are properly labelled.
5.5 Describe employees’ responsibilities regarding the use of PPE. * It is the responsibility of employees to Ensure that they take reasonable care to protect their own health and safety and that of their co-workers and other persons in or near the workplace; * Report to management any hazardous or potentially hazardous conditions or risks that they identify in their work environment. * Participate in training provided by the employer, regarding the appropriate use, care, and maintenance of PPE. * Uses PPE in accordance with instruction provided and follow established...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document