In God We Trust
$ 15.6 trilllion ( 2012 estimate)
Barack Obama ( Democratic)
The United states of America have travelled a long way from its exploration by Christopher Columbus in 1492 , to being a world superpower in the present age. Today the United States of America is a federal, constitutional republic consisting of 50 states & a federal district . It lies in the North America with Canada to its north, Mexico to its south , the pacific ocean towards west & the Atlantic towards east. The United States has developed post industrialization and has become the world’s largest economy with an estimated GDP (2012) of $ 15.6 trillion i.e. 19 % of global GDP at PPP. The per capita GDP of USA is one of the highest in the world. It has abundance of natural resources , a consolidated infrastructure and world’s leading manufacturing industries. USA alone accounts for 41 % of global military spending and is a dominant force in the political , economic & cultural scene of the world.
2. EVOLUTION OF UNITED STATES
It was in 1492 that a sailor, Christopher Columbus, was making an effort to find a way from Europe to the far east. On his way to China he accidently found some islands in the Atlantic Ocean near North America. He thought it to be the Indies & hence named the natives of the land, Indians. These “Indians” ended up to be the native Americans & by accident, this sailor from Spain had discovered a whole new world. European colonization started in around 1600 and was largely originating from the Great Britain.The diseases brought & spread by the Europeans had a great impact on the American population in those times. The United States emerged from the 13 British held districts along the Atlantic Seaboard. These states started to have their own economic & political framework. These disputes between the American colonies & the British led to the American Revolution. On July 4th , 1776 the 13 districts declared their independence from European rule & formed the United States of America. The current constitution was originally formed and adopted in 1787. Several amendments have been added to the constitution to modify the effects but not the original text.
The United States embarked upon its strengths and had vigorous expansion across North America throughout the 19th century displacing native tribes, acquiring new territories an d admitting new states. By the end of nineteenth century USA emerged as a powerful nation which was stamped by the world’s consensus after the 2 World Wars in the 20th century. 3. CURRENT ENVIRONMENT
The political history of the USA dates as back as the 15th century when it was found by Christopher Columbus. A brief history of its existence & political emergence is as following : 1492
- Found by Christopher Columbus.
- Delegates from 13 colonies unanimously proclaimed declaration of independence and established the United States of America 1783
- Americans colonists won & formed the United States of America. George Washington was the first president of USA. 1861-65
- Civil war between the North & the South. President Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves in the Emancipation Proclamation. The northern states won the war and the era of development began. 1914
- USA fought in the World War I, after which woman got the rights to vote. 1921
- The beginning of the great depression and there was shut down of banks, factories, farms with unemployment reaching historic peaks. President Franklin Roosevelt was instrumental in helping the USA recuperate from it by the new deal government. 1941-45
- USA entered the World War II after Japan attacked the Hawaiian islands. The war ended after USA dropped the first atom bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. The world entered the nuclear age since then. 1950-53
- The Korean war.
- The Cold war...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document