You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk • Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly • When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference • Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Please note that this Assessment document has 5 pages and is made up of 4 Sections.
IMPORTANT: All attachments referred to within this assessment (attached at the end of this document) are to be treated in strictest confidence.
Section 1 – Understand the purpose of information technology in a business environment
1. In relation to your current business environment (or one that you are familiar with), identify at least two different types of information technology that may be used when completing work tasks.
Information technology is a broad term which encompasses computer hardware, networking, computer security applications, internet and web technologies, and application software development.
Some forms of information technology that I use when completing work tasks are: • Spreadsheets
• Word processing
• Mobile technology
• Presentation software
2. What are the benefits to businesses (and others) of using information technology for doing work tasks?
Information technology benefits a business by allowing it to work more efficiently and effectively to maximise productivity.
• Faster communication for example email communication
• Electronic storage
• Enhanced protection of information
• Information sharing is made easier through electronic storage and communication • Geographical barriers are removed
• Cost savings
• Streamlined business processes
• Time Savings
• Cultural gaps are reduced, as Information Technology has led to a worldwide language
Section 2 – Understand how to manage electronic and paper-based information
1. Explain the purpose of agreeing objectives and deadlines when researching information.
If possible, refer to specific examples from research tasks you have worked on to support your answer.
It is important to agree objectives when doing research to ensure that the required information is researched. By having these objectives agreed, is allows the researcher to focus on getting the desire result and thus not wasting resources and time.
Objectives which should be agreed are:
• What information is required
• Who will be reviewing the information
• How is the information to be displayed
A personal example of this is the data requirements for a campaign that has been requested. The full details of what is required of me, and the outcomes are detailed within the mailing design – Appendix 1. This document will have been produced with my feedback as well as stakeholders, to ensure that we are all looking at the same outcome. What I produce at the end of this, through the databases for which I conduct this research is a full list of who should be communicated too in the desired layout.
2. Identify the different ways of researching, organising and reporting information.
• Outline Method
This is a very tidy, structured and useful method for researching, organising and reporting information. It is however, difficult to maintain if you are not using it in an electronic format. When using it in its electronic format is it easy to move and edit text as you work.
• Note cards
This is manual way of recording the information that your have researched. They can be easily shifted and reorganised to create a final order for the information you have researched. Cards can be various colours to identify...