Understanding Business Research Terms and Concepts: Part 3
Determine which level of measurement— nominal, ordinal, interval, or ratio—is used in the following examples.
• The Association of Accountants is conducting a survey to determine the ranking of the top 100 accounting firms in the world.
• How many years did it take you to earn your college degree?
• On a questionnaire which asks for gender, males are coded as 1 and females are coded as 2.
• Respondents are asked to rate a list of high-tech companies as excellent, good, fair, or poor in terms of their service delivery.
• Cereal brands are arranged in an ordered sequence in which an equal interval exists between each point.
• LeBron James wears the number 23 on his jersey.
• The length of time it takes the winner of a marathon to cross the finish line.
• Students are asked to rank computer manufacturers.
• The brand of charge card used by a customer.
• The pin number used to access your checking account.
Which sampling method—simple random, systematic, stratified, cluster, convenience, judgment, quota, or snowball—is most appropriate for the following examples?
• The unemployment rate is calculated each month by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The survey consists of 50,000 households in about 2,000 counties and cities in all 50 states.
• A researcher for Kraft Foods selects five states randomly, and then selects 10 supermarkets chains within each state to call for a phone survey as test markets for a new cookie.
• A new product researcher would like to investigate the use of virtual teams. After conducting an interview with a manager, she asks for the names of other managers that use virtual teams.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 01). Understanding Business Research Terms and Concepts Part 3. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Understanding-Business-Research-Terms-And-Concepts-1359108.html
"Understanding Business Research Terms and Concepts Part 3" StudyMode.com. 01 2013. 2013. 01 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Understanding-Business-Research-Terms-And-Concepts-1359108.html>.
- MLA 7
"Understanding Business Research Terms and Concepts Part 3." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 01 2013. Web. 01 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Understanding-Business-Research-Terms-And-Concepts-1359108.html>.
"Understanding Business Research Terms and Concepts Part 3." StudyMode.com. 01, 2013. Accessed 01, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Understanding-Business-Research-Terms-And-Concepts-1359108.html.