• Full name: Tunisian Republic
• Population: 10.4 million (UN, 2010)
• Capital: Tunis
• Area: 164,150 sq km (63,378 sq miles)
• Major languages: Arabic (official); French
• Major religion: Islam
• Life expectancy: 73 years (men), 77 years (women) (UN)
• Monetary unit: 1 Tunisian dinar (TD) = 1,000 millimes
• Main exports: Agricultural products, textiles, oil
• GNI per capita: US $3,720 (World Bank, 2009)
• Internet domain: .tn
• International dialling code: +216
The history of Tunisia shows that Tunisia was under many rules during the times.
At the beginning of recorded history, Tunisia was inhabited by Berber Tribes. Then began the Carthaginian period followed by the roman period and finally the Islamic period.
In the modern history Tunisia was under the Turkish govern for more than three centuries, and as a result of the Ottoman Empire fragility, Tunisia was set as a French colony till its independence in 1956.
Tunisia had a republican presidential system characterized by a bicameral parliamentary system.
The Tunisian regime knows as the most repressive regimes in the Arab world, even before Ben Ali's tenure.
Compared to the African countries, Tunisia is ranking on the top of the best economies in the continent. For example: it was ranked as the most competitive economy in Africa and the 40th in the world by The World Economic Forum.
Some facts about Zine El Abidine Ben Ali :
He was born in September 1936 in Hammam Sousse.
Ben Ali was appointed prime minister in October 1987.
He was the second president of the Tunisian republic. From 7 November 1987 until he was forced to step down and flee the country on 14 January 2011.
Ben Ali has been married twice, first time to Na'ima El kafy 1964-1988. And the second time to Laila Trabulsi 1992-present.
Al trabulsi family (Ben Ali's wife family) was known as a dominant and greedy family that ruled the...