1. Name of volcano (include one or more pictures).
o “Tungurahua”, Quichua tunguri (throat), rahua (fire): "Throat of Fire".
o Summit elevation: 5,023m
2. Geographic location.
Is an active stratovolcano located in the Cordillera Central of Ecuador. The volcano gives name to the province of Tungurahua.
Tungurahua (5,023 m) is located in the Cordillera Central of the Andes of central Ecuador, 140 km (87 miles) south of the capital Quito. Nearby notable mountains are the Chimborazo (6,267 m) and El Altar (5,319 m).
3. Name of nearest city (include nearest major city if small towns are the closest).
- Tungurahua rises above the small thermal spring’s town Baños (1,800 m).
- Other nearby towns are Ambato and Riobamba.
- Tungurahua is part of the Sangay National Park.
4. Distance to nearest city.
Nearest city Distance
Baños It is located at its foot 5 km to the north.
Ambato 30 km to the northwest.
Riobamba 30 km to the southwest.
5. Population of nearest city.
Nearest city Population / Year
Baños 130,000 (2004)
Ambato 169,103 (2003).
Riobamba 140,558 (2003)
6. Dates of most recent eruptions.
Tungurahua Volcano Eruptions
1999-2008, 1944, 1916-25, 1900?, 1886-88, 1885?, 1857, 1781?, 1777?, 1776, 1773, 1757?, 1646?, 1644?, 1641, 1640?, 1557, 1534
7. Type of volcano (shield, cinder cone, composite or strato volcano).
- Stratovolcano (active).
o A stratovolcano, also called a composite volcano, is a tall, conical volcano composed of many layers of hardened lava, tephra, and volcanic ash. These kinds of volcanoes are characterized by a steep profile and periodic, explosive eruptions.
8. Composition of the igneous rock or magma (andesitic, basaltic, etc.)
- The source magma of this volcano is classified as acidic, having high to intermediate levels of silica (as in rhyolite, dacite, or andesite).
9. Temperature (if available).
- The measured temperature for the Tungurahua... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2008, 05). Tungurahua. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 05, 2008, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Tungurahua-147821.html
"Tungurahua" StudyMode.com. 05 2008. 05 2008 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Tungurahua-147821.html>.
"Tungurahua." StudyMode.com. 05, 2008. Accessed 05, 2008. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Tungurahua-147821.html.