Trash Chapter 21 Quiz
1. What is the BIGGEST reason that solid and hazardous waste are a problem in modern society?
(A) Waste material pollutes the environment
(B) It is poisonous, dangerously corrosive, and harmful to human health (C) Discarded materials can end up in rivers
(D) The unwanted materials can end up in landfills.
(E) Solid waste is harmful for vegetation
2. Which is the largest type of domestic solid waste in the United States? (A) Yard Wastes
3. The environmental benefits of composting include all of following EXCEPT: (A) Reduced volume of material ending up in a landfill
(B) Generation of rich organic fertilizer
(C) Reduction in work force of waste management company
(D) Reduced amount of methane generated in landfills
(E) Reduced amount of energy needed to transport material to a landfill
4. The US legislation that is designed to track hazardous waste from its production, “cradle,” to its disposal, “grave,” is the (A) Resource Conservation and Recovery Act
(B) Clean Water Act
(C) National Priorities List
(D) National Environmental Policies Act
(E) Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act
5. Which of the following best explains why the recycling of plastic is an example of open-loop recycling? (A) Manufacturers may use a lesser amount of material for newer products. (B) Plastic bottles can be melted down and then used in the production of new bottles. (C) Plastic bottles can be recycled and used in the production of different plastic products. (D) Recycling plastic reduces the need for the raw material.
(E) Plastic products can be used repeatedly before disposal.
6. Which component of a landfill is extracted and transported to a wastewater treatment facility? (A) Leachate
(B) Clay Liner
(C) Solid waste
(E) Toxic metals
Please join StudyMode to read the full document