TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
Training is the formal and systematic modification of behaviors through learning which occurs as a results of education, instruction, development and planed experience Development is any learning activity, which is directed towards future ,needs rather than present needs and which is concerned more with career growth than immediate performance.
NATURE OF TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
In simple terms training and development refer to the impacting of specific skills abilities and knowledge to an employee. A formal definition of training and development is-it is any attempt to improve current or future employee performance by increasing an employee’s ability to perform through learning, usually by changing the employee’s attitude or increasing his her skills and knowledge
IMPORTANCE OF TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
Training and development programs, as was pointed out earlier, help remove performance deficiencies in employees .this is lack particular true when – 1. The deficiency is caused by a lack of ability rather than a lack of motivation to perform, 2. The individuals involved have the aptitude and motivation need to learn to do the job better, and 3. Supervisors and peers are supportive of the desired behaviour.
THE PURPOSE OF TRAINING :
The aim of training is to help the organization achieve its purpose by adding value to its key resource-the people it employs. The purpose of training is to: 1. To increase productivity and quality
2. To promote versatility and adoptability to new methods 3. To reduce the number of accidents
4. To reduce labors turnover
5. To increasew job satisfaction displaying itself in lower labor turn – over and less absenteeism 6. To increase efficiency
ADVANTAGES OF TRAINING
1. Leads to improve profitability and/or more positive attitudes toward profit orientation. 2. Improves the job knowledge and skills at all level of the organization. 3. Improves morale of the workforce.
4. Helps people identify with organizational goal.
5. Helps create a better corporate image.
6. Fasters authentically, openness and trust.
7. Improves the relationship between boss and subordinates. 8. Aids in organizational development.
9. Learns from the trainee.
10. Helps prepare guidelines for work.
11. Aids in understanding and carrying out organizational policies. 12. Provides information for future needs in all area of the organization. 13. Organization gets more effective decision making and problem solving. 14. Aids in development for promotion from within.
15. Aids in developing leadership skills, motivation, loyalty, better attitudes, and other aspects that successful workers and managers usually display. 16. Aids in increasing productivity and/or quality of work. 17. Helps keep costs down in many areas, e.g. production, personnel, administration, etc. 18. Develop a sense of responsibility to the organization for being competent and knowledgeable. 19. Improves labor management relations.
20. Reduces outside consulting costs by utilizing competent internal consulting.
DISADVANTAGES OF TRAING
1. Can be financial drain on resources; expensive development and testing, expensive to operate. 2. Often takes people away from their job for varying periods of time; 3. Equips staff to leave for a better job.
4. Bad habits passed on
5. Narrow experience.
REVIEW OF LITERATURE
Michael s.lane, Gerald L.blakely, 1990 Management development programmes are increasingly been studied and evaluated, regarding their efficiency and effectiveness. Presents the results of a survey of 155 directors and vise presidents of personnel and human resource management departments regardin the current status of their management development programes. The results indicate...