Topics for Midterm Test – 1st year
1) A structuralist approach to The Magus. What do the three parts stand for?
2) A symbolical approach to The Magus. Provide and explain at least three examples of relevant symbols/archetypes in the novel
3) The Magus – a post-modern romance. Define these two elements: post-modern and romance in relationship to the novel.
4) The French Lieutenant’s Woman – a feminist approach. How is post-modern feminism reflected in this novel?
5) Lord of the Flies – a symbolical approach. Provide and explain at least three examples of archetypal characters/objects in the novel.
6) Lord of the Flies – a psycho-analytical approach. Which are the three characters that could represent the ID, the EGO and the SUPER-EGO, as understood by Freud?
7) Lord of the Flies or Marxism revisited. How would you apply a Marxist approach to this novel?
8) Deconstructing meaning in Waiting for Godot. Who is Godot ? Why are they waiting for him?
9) A Clockwork Orange from a Marxist perspective. Which society is Burgess satirizing: the communist or the capitalist one? Why?
10) The question of identity in post-modern writings. Define post-modern identity as understood from one of the texts you have read (The Magus, Lord of the Flies, Waiting for Godot or A Clockwork Orange)
You shall answer to two of these questions and then apply an approach of your choice to a small excerpt selected from one of the plays / novels you have studied. This shall represent the third task to solve for this Midterm Test.
The Test will take 1 ¼ hrs., from 18.10 to 19.25 hrs on Monday, 13th of May. Please make sure that you can attend this test, as it is very important for your final seminar grade.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document