Recycling is an excellent way of saving energy and conserving the environment. Did you know that: * 1 recycled tin can would save enough energy to power a television for 3 hours. * 1 recycled glass bottle would save enough energy to power a computer for 25 minutes. * 1 recycled plastic bottle would save enough energy to power a 60-watt light bulb for 3 hours. * 70% less energy is required to recycle paper compared with making it from raw materials.
* Recycled paper produces 73% less air pollution than if it was made from raw materials. * 12.5 million tonnes of paper and cardboard are used annually in the UK. * The average person in the UK gets through 38kg of newspapers per year. * It takes 24 trees to make 1 ton of newspaper.
HOW TO RECYCLE PAPER?
* Paper is separated into the following groups:
* Office paper
* Phone directories
* Deposit used paper at your local recycling bank.
* Most home recycling bins, provided by your local council, usually accept paper products. * Only recycle gummed paper if specified, such as envelopes and stickers. * Reduce paper waste by cancelling unwanted deliveries, or read news online as opposed to buying newspapers. * Put a ‘no junk mail please’ sign on your letter box to reduce unwanted deliveries. * Reuse paper around the home as scrap paper or packing material. Envelopes can also be reused. * Set your printer to print on both sides of the paper.
* Buy recycled paper whenever possible.
10 THINGS YOU CAN DO
1. Don’t buy the newspaper… Read it ONLINE!
2. Remember tissues are also made from paper!
3. Think before you print something.
4. Use both sides of the sheet of paper
5. Follow the 3 R’s; Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
6. Buy FSC certified paper or Paper that comes from Sustainable forests. 7. Use the Fit to Page feature in Microsoft Excel.
8. Send Faxes Electronically
9. Switch to Recycled Paper!
10. Any kind of awareness can go a long way in the long run. Tell your friends and family the importance of reducing paper use. Recycling is an excellent way of saving energy and conserving the environment. Did you know that: * 1 recycled tin can would save enough energy to power a television for 3 hours. * 1 recycled glass bottle would save enough energy to power a computer for 25 minutes. * 1 recycled plastic bottle would save enough energy to power a 60-watt light bulb for 3 hours. * 70% less energy is required to recycle paper compared with making it from raw materials. Some Interesting Facts
* Up to 60% of the rubbish that ends up in the dustbin could be recycled. * The unreleased energy contained in the average dustbin each year could power a television for 5,000 hours. * The largest lake in the Britain could be filled with rubbish from the UK in 8 months. * On average, 16% of the money you spend on a product pays for the packaging, which ultimately ends up as rubbish. * As much as 50% of waste in the average dustbin could be composted. * Up to 80% of a vehicle can be recycled.
* 9 out of 10 people would recycle more if it were made easier. Aluminium
* 24 million tonnes of aluminium is produced annually, 51,000 tonnes of which ends up as packaging in the UK. * If all cans in the UK were recycled, we would need 14 million fewer dustbins. * £36,000,000 worth of aluminium is thrown away each year. * Aluminium cans can be recycled and ready to use in just 6 weeks. Glass
* Each UK family uses an average of 500 glass bottles and jars annually. * The largest glass furnace produces over 1 million glass bottles and jars per day. * Glass is 100% recyclable and can be used again and again. * Glass that is thrown away and ends up in landfills will never...