Atticus is the father of Jem and Scout. He gives them almost raise themselves, he gives them a lot of freedom. Atticus has equal respect for all people. By this example he is also not racist. He is independent, not a follower. He always leads his children and others by example, he is not a coward, nor a hypocrite.
* “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view — until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.” --Atticus
* “You just hold your head high and keep those fists down. No matter what anyone says to you, don’t let ‘em get your goat. Try fighting with your head for a change…it’s a good one, even if it does resist learning.”--Atticus
* “When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness' sake. But don't make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion quicker than adults, and evasion simply muddles 'em.” –Atticus
* “Why reasonable people go stark raving mad when anything involving a Negro comes up, is something I don't pretend to understand.”—Atticus
* “It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived.”—Scout about Atticus”
Scout is a tomboy. Like her brother, Jem, She is also adventurous. She is curious and likes to learn. She is young, naïve, innocent, and circumspect. She is a leader but is sensitive and cares but yet tough as nails.
* “Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”—Scout
* “I was born good but had grown progressively worse every year.”—Scout
* “Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.”—Atticus to Scout
Jem’s nickname can be taken as 2 ways, it is short for Jeremiah, but also because he is a gem. Jem is a leader to scout and courageous. He is responsible and takes care of his little...