SECTION MEETING TIME: _________________
Homework #1--TJX 2011 Annual Report Scavenger Hunt
BUSN 1101 Sustaining Business in the New Economy
1. Scroll throughout the TJX website at www.tjx.com
2. On the “Investor Information” menu, click the “Annual Reports” link, and download (but don’t print) the TJX 2011 Annual Report. 3. Scan the publication to get an overview of what kind of information a public company has to document. 4. Answer the following questions by typing into the document. Please note the page references for each answer you find, as they may be useful during class discussion. 5. To submit the homework, upload the document on Blackboard’s Homework tab.
Mission, Vision, Corporate Values
1. What is TJX’s mission statement?
More U.S. and international customers
2. What is TJX’s vision for itself in the future?
They envision a marriage between stores and the web and plan to use $23 billion brick-and-mortar business and 700–person buying organization to increase the customer base and add incrementally to their top and bottom lines over time. 3. What are the values that TJX strives to incorporate as it conducts its business operations? Are these consistent with their stated mission and vision? To stretch the boundaries of the off-price business model and take intelligent risks to offer consumers even greater value. Target Customer
4. Who is TJX’s target customer? Are you TJX’s target customer? A middle- to upper-middle-income shopper. No, I am not.
5. What are the four components of value that TJX offers its customers? Is this value proposition likely to appeal to the TJX target customer? Great fashion, brand, quality and price. Yes, they are.
6. What does TJX sell?
It sells off-price apparel and home fashions.
7. What are TJX’s key retail concepts? How do these retail concepts enable TJX to provide the four components of value they...