• Check the Assignments Booklet for how to format your essay. You must:
o Double space
o Put page numbers and your PI on every page
o Put your name, PI and TMA number on the first page
• Please state your word count and make sure your keep to it – remember, you can be 10% over or under, but no more or less
• Please include a reference section/bibliography at the end of your essay
• Please include your self reflections if asked – they help me to see where you may need guidance, and you will lose 5 marks if you don’t include them
• It is essential that you do a thorough spelling and grammar check (you can do this via your computer: go to ‘tools’ and then ‘spelling and grammar’ on most Word programmes)
• If you are still unsure that you have all your spelling/grammar correct, ask someone else to read it; they will be able to spot things that you can’t because they will be coming to it fresh
• Sentence structure is very important as well; once again, great ideas and points can be hampered by poor writing. Read the essay out loud to yourself – are your sentences as clear as they could be?
• Do not use colloquial (casual) language: be academic (although don’t use ‘big’ words for the sake of it)
• Unless appropriate (e.g. you have been asked to talk about something in your life), try not to use ‘I’ or ‘we’ throughout the essay; use sentences like ‘it could be suggested that’ or ‘this essay will show…’
• Do not make sweeping statements (e.g. suggesting that everyone feels like this because you do!); instead, back up your work with academic opinion, quotes and statistics
• Please use appropriate paragraphing – do not start each new point on a new line/paragraph; paragraphs should relate to themes and arguments
• You must make sure that all of your paragraphs follow on from one another, in terms of both theme and structure. Use linking phrases such as ‘linked to this,’ or ‘moving on’ to do this
Cite This Essay
(2010, 10). Tipsand Hints for Writing Essays. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Tipsand-Hints-For-Writing-Essays-447089.html
"Tipsand Hints for Writing Essays" StudyMode.com. 10 2010. 10 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Tipsand-Hints-For-Writing-Essays-447089.html>.
"Tipsand Hints for Writing Essays." StudyMode.com. 10, 2010. Accessed 10, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Tipsand-Hints-For-Writing-Essays-447089.html.