1. I am not a recruiter, the suggestions given should not be construed as expert opinion.
2. This post contains, some shameless self promotion!!,I just wanted to share some real examples of me practicing rather sounding only preaching. 1. Contribute to open source projects, below are some of the open source project hosing sites that are worth looking at. * http://sourceforge.net/
2. Participate in technical forums/discussion portals. Besides learning from reading the posts, one would feel good by solving others problem * http://www.coderanch.com/forums
I used to participate at CodeRanch.com and won a book prize !! too.
3. Volunteer in any community/organization activities like: * http://www.wolframalpha.com/participate/
4. It is good idea to go for technical certification like SCJP, CCNA, as the preparation for the exams would make us more confident during interviews. 5. Have a good online portfolio like maintaining a website, blogging etc. * I blog at http://www.srikanthramu.com, http://ggears.blogspot.com/, http://golddata.blogspot.com/
6. Create a LinkedIn profile
* My LinkedIn profile is http://ca.linkedin.com/in/srikanthramu
It is also a good idea to subscribe to technical portals for latest tech news and read good materials: *...