A thesis statement is the main idea (topic) of an essay.
It is often a point you want to argue or support in an essay. It contains your opinion/attitude towards a topic.
The thesis statement explains to a reader the main idea of the essay, and the writer’s opinion on that idea. A thesis statement is one sentence in the introductory paragraph of the essay. A thesis statement is a claim that could be argued.
The essay will contain evidence and opinions that support the argument. Subject + Attitude = Thesis
Don’t start your thesis sentence with “In my opinion, I believe, I think.” Thesis statements are always your take on the topic. Just stating a fact. A thesis is something you plan to make an argument about. Attempting two topics at once.
Needs To Be Limited
Good teachers make Metcalfe PS a fantastic school.
The world is a magnificent place to live.
One reason to live in Metcalfe is access to many wonderful places to fish.
Metcalfe is a great place to live.
A Thesis is Concise:
Needs To Be Concise
Metcalfe PS needs several changes to its facility to make it a better school.
Some problems with Metcalfe PS is that it needs a big playground, an air conditioned gym, an auditorium, restrooms in each classroom, running water & a number of changes to the building. A Thesis is Not a Subject
Should Not be a Subject
The cost of living in Metcalfe is lower than in most other cities in Canada.
Cost of Living
A Thesis is Not a Title
Should Not be a Title
Good teaching has led to an increase in test scores at Metcalfe PS.
Rising test scores at Metcalfe PS
A Thesis is Not a Statement of Fact
Should Not be an Absolute Fact
The climate in Ottawa is ideal for outdoor sports.
The average temperature in Ottawa in winter is 2˚ & in summer is 22˚.
Below you will see pairs of sentences. Each pair contains one sentence that would make a better thesis statement. Write T before the sentence in each pair that would make a good thesis statement.
1. __________ Sachar illustrates that forming trustworthy friendships is beneficial to the characters in Holes. 2. __________ Rex and Alan's nicknames are X-Ray and Squid.
3. __________ When Stanley asks Theodore where he can find water, Theodore grabs Stanley, throws him down, and says his name is Armpit. 4. __________ Brutality is all around Camp Green Lake, and its harmful results are often shown.
5. __________ In Holes Camp Green Lake is dry, hard, and hot which symbolize Stanley's feelings of being trapped and sad while God's Thumb is green and fertile which symbolize Stanley's feelings of being free and happy. 6. __________ In Holes, the physical environment is a symbol of Stanley's feelings.
7. __________ Onions signify a healing power in the novel.
8. __________ Onions - A Food Rich in Sugar and Oil
9. __________ Over 3,000 species of lizards live throughout the world with the largest number living in warm climates. 10. __________ The Yellow Spotted Lizard in Holes represents death.
Read the report about bullying.
A bully is a person who is mean or hurtful to others. Bullies often use a combination of threats and shame to annoy others. Bullies may hurt others physically by hitting, kicking or pushing. They may also be mean by calling names, teasing, leaving a kid out of the group on purpose, or scaring others. Some bullies many even threaten people or try to make people do things they don't want to do. 1. Which sentence is the thesis statement for this paragraph?
a) Characteristics of Bullies
b) A bully is a person who harasses a weaker peer physically, mentally, or socially. c) Researchers agree that bullying contains three elements: aggressive and negative behavior, behavior is carried out repeatedly, one person has power over another. d) One form of bullying is spreading gossip.
Bullying is a...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document