The Problem and its Background
The aim of this study is to analyze and understand the effects of the current economic problem of the Philippines to education.
It is very apparent that various factors raised by the present economic crisis caused a lot of changes in everyone’s choice of where to get quality education for the young Filipinos that comprise half of the Philippine population (NCSO, 2007 Census of Population and Housing,).
The present economic situation of the Philippines had impacted the education situation of the country when big part of the population is living just within the poverty line. Tuition fee increases had made education unaffordable to many. High transportation fares, unaffordable housing added to the problem. Many parents chose to give their children education in whatever means, sending their children to inexpensive schools that would still give quality education or to public schools. Many have chosen private schools that at first are affordable but tuition fee increases through the years made it impossible for them to stay and continue their education there. Thus, many transferred to more affordable schools.
Statement of the Problem
The global economic crises at present which did not exempt the Philippines from suffering, greatly affected the capability of parents to give education to the younger members of the society, the children, the students.
1) Parents in order to give their children good quality and affordable education despite of
the current economic hardship would find ways to let their children continue their
education. Most common practice is to transfer the students to schools which the parents
can afford sometimes midway their primary or secondary education.
2) At present, New Era University has seen and accepted a lot of transferees. Most are from nearby communities but still a lot came from communities afar.
3) New Era University with its affordable tuition fee and the good quality of education it offers to its students made it a favorite school to transfer to or enroll in.
Significance of the Study
The importance of this study is to know the effects of the crisis that is happening here in our country in connection to the education of the students. Likewise, the study would also try to highlight the fact that NEU is one of the top choices of those transfer students in terms of good quality education, peace and order situation, harmonious atmosphere among students and teachers and good discipline.
Scope and Delimitation of the Study
This study will particularly focus on students transferring to other schools because their economic situation makes it not viable and impractical for them to stay in the schools they have left. The study will focus itself on student transferees of NEU who are enrolled at present.
Particularly, the study will deal with those transferees who are presently enrolled in the school
in various levels.
Definition of Terms
To clarify the meaning of some terms used in this study the following definitions of terms are presented.
1. Transfer/transferees – Simply put, a transfer is a change of schools. A student who begins college at one school and then switches to another is defined as a “transfer student.” Transfers come in many forms and can take place at various times during a student’s academic career.
2. economy – the management of the income, expenditures, etc. of a household, business, community, or government.
3. economic crisis- A situation in which the economy of a country experiences a sudden downturn brought on by a financial crisis. An economy facing an economic crisis will most likely experience a falling GDP, a drying up of liquidity and rising/falling prices due to inflation/deflation. An economic crisis can take the form of a recession or a...