1. Guns. Everywhere guns.
2. Let me start this discussion by pointing out that I am not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife. Consider the merits of the knife. In the first place, you have to catch up with someone in order to stab him. A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners. Plus, knives don't ricochet. And people are seldom killed while cleaning their knives.
3. As a civil libertarian, I, of course, support the Second Amendment. And I believe it means exactly what it says: A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be violated. Fourteen-year-old boys are not part of a well-regulated militia. Members of wacky religious cults are not part of a well-regulated militia. Permitting unregulated citizens to have guns is destroying the security of this free state.
4. I am intrigued by the arguments of those who claim to follow the judicial doctrine of original intent. How do they know it was the dearest wish of Thomas Jefferson's heart that teenage drug dealers should cruise the cities of this nation perforating their fellow citizens with assault rifles? Channeling?
5. There is more hooey spread about the Second Amendment. It says quite clearly that guns are for those who form part of a well-regulated militia, that is, the armed forces, including the National Guard. Their reasons for keeping them away from everyone else get clearer by the day.
6. The comparison most often used is that of the automobile, another lethal object that is regularly used to wreak great carnage. Obviously, this society is full of people who haven't enough common sense to use an automobile properly.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 12). The World a Safer Place Without Weapons. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-World-A-Safer-Place-Without-526506.html
"The World a Safer Place Without Weapons" StudyMode.com. 12 2010. 12 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-World-A-Safer-Place-Without-526506.html>.
"The World a Safer Place Without Weapons." StudyMode.com. 12, 2010. Accessed 12, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-World-A-Safer-Place-Without-526506.html.