Kerima Polotan-Tuvera (December 16, 1925 – August 19, 2011)
* Was a Filipino author. She was a renowned and highly respected fictionist, essayist, and journalists, with her works having received among the highest literary distinctions of the Philippines.
* Some of her stories have been published under the pseudonym Patricia S. Torres
* She graduated from the Far Eastern University Girls' High School. In 1944, she enrolled in the University of the Philippines School of Nursing, but the Battle of Manila put a halt to her studies. In 1945, she transferred schools to Arellano University, where she attended the writing classes of Teodoro M. Locsin and edited the first issue of the Arellano Literary Review. She worked with Your Magazine, This Week and the Junior Red Cross Magazine.
* In 1949, she had married Juan Capiendo Tuvera, a childhood friend and fellow writer, with whom she had 10 children. Between the years 1966 to 1986, her husband served as the Executive Secretary of then President Marcos. Her husband's work drew her into the charmed circle of the Marcoses.
* Her 1952 short story, (the widely anthologized) “The Virgin”, won two first prizes: of the Philippines Free Press Literary Awards and of the Palanca Awards. In 1957, she edited an anthology for the Don Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature, which English and Tagalog prize-winning short stories from 1951 to 1952.
* Her short stories “The Trap” (1956), “The Giants” (1959), “The Tourists” (1960), “The Sounds of Sunday” (1961) and “A Various Season” (1966) all won the first prize of the Palanca Awards.
* In 1966, she published Stories, a collection of eleven stories. In 1970, alongside writing the biography of Imelda Marcos, Polotan-Tuvera collected forty-two of her hard-hitting essays during her years as a staff writer of the Philippines Free Press and published them under the title Author's Circle. In 1976, she edited the... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 07). The Virgin-- Kerima Polotan Tuvera. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Virgin-Kerima-Polotan-Tuvera-1843092.html
"The Virgin-- Kerima Polotan Tuvera" StudyMode.com. 07 2013. 2013. 07 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Virgin-Kerima-Polotan-Tuvera-1843092.html>.
- MLA 7
"The Virgin-- Kerima Polotan Tuvera." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 07 2013. Web. 07 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Virgin-Kerima-Polotan-Tuvera-1843092.html>.
"The Virgin-- Kerima Polotan Tuvera." StudyMode.com. 07, 2013. Accessed 07, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Virgin-Kerima-Polotan-Tuvera-1843092.html.