The Tragedy of Julius Caesar
Act IV Study Questions
1. Where does Act IV scene 1 take place?
a. Antony’s house
2. Who makes up the second triumvirate?
a. Antony, Octavius, Lepidus
3. What are Antony, Octavius, and Lepidus discussing at their meeting?
a. Who should be killed
4. Describe Antony’s feelings concerning Lepidus.
a. he doesn’t think Lepidus should be one of the leaders
5. What are Octavius and Antony planning?
a. to raise an army to fight Brutus and Cassius
6. What do lines 48-51 tell you about Octavius’ state of mind at this point?
a. he is suspicious of everyone
7. Where is Act IV scene 2 set?
a. on a battlefield
8. How does Brutus respond when Lucilius tells him that Cassius has been courteous and respectful, but not as familiar and friendly as in the past?
a. he tells Lucillius that Cassius’s friendship is insincere 9. Describe Cassius’ greeting upon seeing Brutus.
a. he accuses Brutus of having done him wrong
10. Why does Brutus ask Cassius to “be content” and “speak your griefs softly?”
a. he wants to talk to Cassius privately
11. What does this exchange of words between Cassius and Brutus lead you to believe about their alliance?
a. it may be starting to crumble
12. What is the setting of Act IV Scene 3?
a. a tent on the battlefield
13. Why is Cassius angry at Brutus at the beginning of this scene?
a. Brutus contradicted Cassius’s claim that Lucius Pella was innocent 14. Who claims to be the better and more experienced soldier?
15. Describe the interaction between Brutus and Cassius throughout lines 32-64.
a. they are arguing
16. What is the subject of the men’s argument (lines 65-85)?
a. Brutus asked for money to pay his soldiers and Cassius refused to give it to him 17. What does Cassius mean when he says, “A friend should bear his friend’s infirmities, but Brutus makes mine greater than they are?”
a. that Brutus exaggerates all...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document