As America matured as a nation, slavery became a significant issue in American politics. Slavery became an issue, as more Americans joined reformers to end it. Over 100 anti-slavery societies were formed in the 1820’s. More African Americans and whites were publicly criticized slavery. One group that tried to put end to slavery were abolitionist. Abolitionists were people that were a part of a movement to end slavery. The Abolition movement began around the 1830’s. This movement tried to prevent the spread of slavery into western states.
In fact, there are a number of people who contributed to the abolitionist’s movement. Nat Turner is an example of a person that contributed to the anti-slavery movement.
Nat Turner Rebellion
* He was a preacher that was born into slavery in the 1800’s. * He was born in Southampton County, Virginia. The rebellion took place there. * This event happened in August 1831.
* Nat turner and a group of people killed about 60 white people. * Result: Many blacks were killed and Turner was hanged a few months after his rebellion. * His rebellion strengthened the resolve of Southern Whites to defend slavery and to control their slaves. * More of their privileges were taken away. New laws were put into place that prohibited education to free blacks and slaves, and white ministers had to be present at their worship services.
William Lloyd Garrison
* He was white editor and abolitionist.
* He was involved in religious reform movements in Massachusetts. * He founded the New England Anti-Slavery Society in 1832. * He wrote an influential paper called The Liberator. He was a sending a message against slavery.
* Frederick Douglass
* He was born into slavery...