1. The principal purpose of food and beverage planning and control systems is
• to avoid excessive costs by reducing waste and other forms of loss to a minimum, without sacrificing the quality or quantity of the food which goes to the customer.
2. An effective control procedure will serve other purposes as well:
• aid in developing popular menus
• aid in improving the quality of the product
• aid in pricing for profit
The Flow of Costs Through the Various Food and Beverage Activities
1. Basic Operating activities
• Pre-preparation (butchering, vegetable cleaning etc.)
• Preparation (cooking, baking, salad and sandwich making, etc.)
• Accounting and sales
❑ Food and Beverage costs in the majority of restaurant operations represent the largest single expenditure of the revenue.
❑ Food and beverage costs are influenced by the way the various activities such as purchasing, receiving, storing, issuing, pre-preparation, preparation and accounting are performed.
❑ Food and beverage control procedures should serve as effective “tools of management” to aid in the control of costs. They should be designed in such a way that the most effective allocation of time is made to the planning, comparing and corrective action phases of control, with the emphasis on planning.
❑ F&B control systems must be effectively used by management before they can be a valuable aid in the control of costs.
❑ F&B control systems are supported by various types of “standards: established by management e.g., standard purchase specifications, standard portion sizes, standard recipes, etc.
❑ F&B control systems should be simple and flexible.
❑ Management is responsible for cost... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 04). The Purpose of Food and Beverage Cost Control. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Purpose-Of-Food-And-Beverage-305221.html
"The Purpose of Food and Beverage Cost Control" StudyMode.com. 04 2010. 2010. 04 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Purpose-Of-Food-And-Beverage-305221.html>.
- MLA 7
"The Purpose of Food and Beverage Cost Control." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 04 2010. Web. 04 2010. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Purpose-Of-Food-And-Beverage-305221.html>.
"The Purpose of Food and Beverage Cost Control." StudyMode.com. 04, 2010. Accessed 04, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Purpose-Of-Food-And-Beverage-305221.html.