As a result of the vicious attacks, on that day, the FBI role in fighting against terrorism have changed drastically. They are now able to search telephone records, emails, etc. without a court order. The FBI has a new focus. Post 911 they have reorganized technology, investigations, operations etc. They have become more proactive in fighting against terrorism. It is no easy task for the FBI but 911 was a wakeup call for change in how America is protected. Former President George W. Bush and Congress felt it was necessary for an increase in the government by reorganizing new federal agencies and creating new ones. The number of FBI agents assigned to drug investigations, fraud and racketeering dropped as a result of 911. Below is a list of the FBI’s duties prior and post September 11th. It is not to say national security wasn’t important to them prior but as a result it became top priority. It is not to say their jobs prior to 911 wasn’t significant it was just necessary for them to be adjusted.
Currently, the FBI's top investigative priorities are:
1. Protect the United States from terrorist attacks
2. Protect the United States against foreign intelligence operations and espionage 3. Protect the United States against cyber-based attacks and high-technology crimes 4. Combat public corruption at all levels;
5. Protect civil rights;
6. Combat transnational/national criminal organizations and enterprises 7. Combat major white-collar crime;
8. Combat significant violent crime;
9. Support federal, state, local and international partners; 10. Upgrade technology for successful performance of the FBI's mission. In August 2007, the top categories of lead criminal charges resulting from FBI investigations were: 1. Bank robbery and incidental crimes
3. Attempt and conspiracy...