* The Metamorphosis
* Author: Franz Kafka (1883-1924)
* Major Characters
* Gregor Samsa – The main character in the story. He wakes up to find himself turned into a a large bug/roach. He is a travelling salesman and hates his job. However, he must work to support his family. He wishes to send his sister to violin school but must face the reality that he is an insect * Grete – Gregor’s loving younger sister. After his transformation, she takes care of him. She is a very talented violinist . Although she takes responsibility for Gregor, she is the one who finally says Gregor can never return. * Father – Gregor’s father who had a terrible business failure. After he is forced to work again, he becomes much more lively. It is because of him that Gregor eventually dies. * Mother – She is a weak woman and she suffers the most from Gregor’s condition. She cant even bare to look at her own son who has transformed into a bug. * Themes
* The most predominant theme in the book is isolation. Even before his transformation Gregor is in isolation due to his job. After his transformation, Gregor’s family rejects and confines him. Because he is different, he is rejected by his family. This is a universal them and it can be seen in all societies. * Appearance vs reality also exists in the story. Although Gregor has the appearance of a bug, he is still Gregor nonetheless. His family, however, eventually sees him only as a bug and rejects him. The true Gregor was not what he appeared to be in appearance. * Setting
* The story takes place in Gregor’s home.
* Literary Techniques
* Almost everything in the book seems to foreshadow gregors death and isolation. Starting with the first couple of pages when Gregor hurt himself all the way up until the end. After every step, Gregor was more isolated * Symbolism
* The book is loaded with symbolism. The most obvious symbol is Gregor...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document