The King and I
1. The old Siam treated women very poorly one example is;When Tuptim was captured, after searching for Lun Tha. The King is determined to punish by whipping Tuptim. Anna tries to persuade him not to, but he takes the whip himself to prove that he is not taking advice. Another example is when Anna stands her ground about the house and insists on the letter, threatening to leave Siam. The King orders her to obey as "my servant". Et cetera Et cetera Et cetera
2. Mrs.Anna changed the King by showing him the ways of the modern western world. She wanted to show him that you cant keep a culture the same for decades. When Mrs.Anna came to Siam she was able to change his ways almost instantly. In reward “The King assembles his family for a Buddhist prayer for the success of the venture and acknowledges before Buddha that Anna will receive her own house.”
3. One event to prove that the King has changed is when he didn't whip Tuptim because of Mrs.Anna. When Tuptim ran away the King made his servants find her. After he found her Mrs.Anna gave him a very deep stare and talk about how she was not going to run away. He threatened to whip her but evenly gave in.
4./5. The main reason for Tuptim writing the Small House of Uncle Thomas is very clear. In my option is she wanted to have a anti-slavery theme. In the middle of the the play Tuptim begged of the King to free her.The King refused and scolded her and made her go back to the play.She tried to portray though her play that she had a love that was being prevented by the slavery.
6. Eliza was very similar to Tuptim because she was also a slave. Eliza also ran away from the King. When the King of Siam heard of this he was “disgraced” . At the message of the play he was very displeased.
7. Mrs.Anna went to Siam to teach modern ways. Mrs.Anna also went to Siam for advancement of Siam's kingdom scientifically. Mrs.Anna also was a schoolteacher to the crowned Prince or future King. She was to help...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document