Department of Educational Administration & Secondary Education EDFN 508 Introduction to Research
Instructor: Dr. Seaton
Journal Article Critique
Article: The Influence of Multicultural Educational Practices on Student Outcomes and Intergroup Relations
1) What is the main problem being addressed by the study? Is it clearly stated?
The main problem being addressed by the study is how to adequately serve the racially and ethnically diverse student body which exists today. The current educational process is not working for certain populations of students. African American and Latino students are dropping out of school in alarming rates and students of color are underperforming relative to their potential.
The main problem being addressed by the study is clearly stated.
2) What is the purpose of the study? Is it clearly stated?
The purpose of the study is to examine the questions about the effect of multicultural education in improving performances of students of color and improving intergroup relations in school communities.
Yes, the study’s purpose is clearly stated beginning with the words, “I endeavor to examine…”
3) What is the hypothesis? If one is stated, is it directional or nondirectional?
The hypothesis is to test that multicultural education has no effect on improving educational outcomes of students of color and intergroup relations.
4) What type of research method is used in the study?
The research method used for this study was the mixed method design of hard and soft data: numerical data gathered from a small group and informal and formal discussions and case studies.
5) Who are the subjects involved and how was the sample obtained?
The subjects involved are minority students in K-12 setting and college arena as well as teachers and administrators.
6) What are the main results of the...