“Bunga” was the ancient name of the place, which means fruit. A popular folklore says that the name “Socorro” was delived from the Spanish priest’s plea for “help” when the sailboat he was boarding with his church worker-companions was about to capsize due to gigantic waves brought about by the coming thunderstorm while approaching towards the sitio to officiate mass on a Sunday morning in 1920 . The said priest and company were saved by the brave men of the place who rushed to the scene notwithstanding the wrath of nature. Such heroic acts prompted the priest to name the place “Socorro” in honor of the fearlessness of the men and as a way of paying tribute to the populace who were willing to offer help and assistance to others even in times of danger. Since then, the sitio, which was converted into a barrio, rose from a sleepy settlement into a progressive locality. On February 22, 1961. Socorro was granted the status of a municipality with the entire Bucas Grande Island as its jurisdiction with the signing of Executive Order No. 219 by then President Diosdado Macapagal.
Socorro, same as with other places, had a history to be proud of. But unlike its contemporaries, Socorro’s history is written in blood. A group with religious proclivity called the Cofradia de Sagrado Corazon de Jesus settled in the island in 1917 from Maasin,Leyte. The earlier settlers joined the group. But the leader of the Cofradia broke up with the oman Catholic Church and joined the Iglesia Filipina Independiente in 1923. The enraged Catholic priest in Dapa reported to the Provincial Constabulary Command in Surigao that a colorum group in the island will rebel against the government. A troop was sent to the island but committed atrocities and the islanders retaliated. A military mission was sent from Dapa and some members were killed. Another encounter occurred in January 1924 resulting to the death of 16 soldiers and 40 local men. The American colonial government later sent men to attack and later negotiated the surrender of the local combatants.
The municipality is composed of fourteen (14) barangays covering an area of 12,445 hectares. The town proper located in the eastern side of the island nestles tranquilly along the seashore of a bay where one can behold the first ray of sunlight arising out of the bosom of the Pacific Ocean in the wee hours of the morning. It has nine (9) comely natural attractions, with the Sohoton Lagoons emerging as the most popular, as well as three (3) man-made attractions that enticed a number of tourists to flock to the island. Its populace numbering 15,208 based on the 1995 census,are mostly immigrants from Leyte, Bohol, Cantilan and Tago towns in Surigao del Sur and Mainit and other towns of Surigao del Norte. The islanders are noted for nurturing and practicing the “Bayanihan” way of life, a proud legacy of their forebeas, whereunto, each and every socorronhon vow to uphold and pass on to the next generations.
Land Area: 12,445 has.
Mun.Waters: 34,000 has.
Population: 17,932 (2000 NSO survey)
No.of Barangays: 14
Congressional District: District I, Surigao del Norte Classification: 5th Class
The Municipality of Socorro, which comprises the whole island of Bucas Grande, province of Surigao del Norte, Caraga Region is situated at latitude 9º 33’ 49” – 9º 47’ 00” and longitude 125º 58’ – 126º 04’ 30”. It is 60 kms southeast of Surigao City. It faces the Pacific Ocean to the east (direct east towards Saipan), and the red mountain (Iron Mountain) of Mindanao in the west. In the north. It is bounded by the Municipality of Dapa (Siargao Island), and in the south by the Carrascal Cantilan peninsula and sea water.
The Municipality has a total land area of 12,445 hectares. The Municipal Seawater of Socorro is estimated at 20,000 hectares. Its expense is situated at latitude 9º 32’ 15” – 9º 47’ 00”...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document