The Graveyard Book
By Neil Gaiman The Graveyard Book is a children's fantasy novel by the English author Neil Gaiman, simultaneously published in Britain and America during 2008. It is set primarily in a graveyard, where the boy Nobody Owens is adopted and raised by the occupants after his family is murdered. Gaiman won both the British Carnegie Medal and the American Newbery Medal recognising year's best children's books, the first time both named the same work. The Graveyard Book also won the annual Hugo Award for Best Novel from the World Science Fiction Convention and Locus Award for Best Young Adult Book selected by Locus magazine subscribers. Chris Riddell, who illustrated the British children's edition, made the Kate Greenaway Medal shortlist. It was the first time in 30-year history that one book made both the author and illustrator shortlists. (Two years later, A Monster Calls won both medals.)
About The Author:
Neil Richard MacKinnon Gaiman
Neil Richard MacKinnon Gaiman (born 10 November 1960) is an English author of short fiction, novels, comic books, graphic novels, audio theatre and films. His notable works include the comic book series The Sandman and novels Stardust, American Gods, Coraline, and The Graveyard Book. He has won numerous awards, including Hugo, Nebula, Bram Stoker, Newbery Medal, and Carnegie Medal in Literature. He is the first author to win both the Newbery and the Carnegie medals for the same work, The Graveyard Book (2008).
Nobody Owens ( Bod)
- A boy whose family was murdered and now is living and being raised by the ghosts of the graveyard while learning things that the ghosts do.
- He is Bod's guardian and stays in the graveyard, he is neither dead nor alive. Miss Lupescu
- She is the lady that subsitutes for Silas while he is gone. She is a Hound of God. Liza Hempstock
- She is the witch that is buried in potter' feild, the feild next to the graveyard where they bury the people that are not blessed. She is one of Bod's best friends. Scarlett Amber Perkins
- She became Bod's friend when they were young and her parents had convinced her that he was imaginay and made up.
The Man Jack
- this is the man that murdered Bod's family and was also supposed to murder Bod but failed and is still trying to do so. He is a member of the Jacks Of All Trades.
Mr. And Mrs. Owens
- They are the ghosts that adopted and named Bod and agreed to be his parents.
Jack (usually referred to in the novel as 'the man Jack') has murdered all the members of a family except for the toddler upstairs. Unknown to him, the toddler has climbed out of his crib to explore. The toddler crawls out of the house and up a hill to a graveyard where the ghosts find him. They discuss whether to keep him until the Lady on the Grey (implied to be the Angel of Death) appears and suggests that the baby should be kept ("The dead should have charity"). The ghosts accept and Mrs....