by: Lois Lowry
Chapters 11 to 15
Reading - Read Chapters 11 to 15. Please do not read ahead.
A. Vocabulary (You may do the vocabulary before reading the story.) Look up each word in a DICTIONARY. Write a definition for each. Then use the vocabulary word in a sentence.
admonition, assimilated, phenomenon, skeptically, assuage, vibrancy, chaos, , daub, excruciating, sinuous
B. Questions (You must read the chapters before doing the questions)
1. Why was the transmittal of the memory of snow so exhausting to the old man? What does this reveal about the community? 2. What two lessons did Jonas learn about the sun?
3. Why did the Giver appear a little sad at the end of the first day of training? 4. What do you think is the most severe pain the community members could experience? 5. How did Jonas’s relationship with his parents and friends change after he received his Life Assignment? 6. How did The Giver explain the “visual phenomena” that Jonas witnessed? What did this reveal about the community? 7. Why did the community give up the ability to see color?
8. Why was it important for the community to have a person who could “see beyond”? 9. Why did Jonas refer to Gabe as his little brother?
10. Why was The Giver bitter about the Council of Elders?
12. How was Jonas’s second experience with snow unlike the first? 13. According to The Giver, why did Jonas have to receive and store memories of pain? 14. In Chapter 14, how is Jonas now a Giver?
C. Literary Devices
1. Varying Chapter Length - Reread Chapter 15. Why do you think Lowry put the memory of war in a separate chapter instead of making it part of another chapter?
2. Simile - Read the passage below and answer the questions about simile:
He fell with his leg twisted under him, and could hear the crack of bone.... It was as if a hatchet lay lodged in his leg, slicing through each nerve with a hot blade.
What two things are being compared?
What is the effect of this...