How does the Internet Work?
* The Internet is a worldwide collection of computer networks, cooperating with each other to exchange data using a common software standard. Through telephone wires and satellite links, Internet users can share information in a variety of forms.
* The size, scope and design of the Internet allows users to:
* Allows easily through ordinary personal computers and local phone numbers;
* Exchange electronic mail (E-mail) with friends and colleagues with accounts on the Internet;
* Post information for others to access, and update it frequently;
* Access multimedia information that includes sound, photographic images and even video; and
* Access diverse perspectives from around the world.
* The conceptual foundation for creation of the Internet was largely created by three individuals and a research conference, each of which changed the way we thought about technology by accurately predicting its future:
* Vannevar Bush - wrote the first visionary description of the potential uses for information technology with his description of the "memex" automated library system.
* The theoretical father of the Web
* Norbert Wiener - invented the field of Cybernetics, inspiring future researchers to focus on the use of technology to extend human capabilities.
* Marshall McLuhan - made the idea of a global village interconnected by an electronic nervous system part of our popular culture.
* The 1956 Dartmouth Artificial Intelligence conference - crystallized the concept that technology was improving at an exponential rate, and provided the first serious consideration of the consequences.
What is the Internet?
* The Internet is the world’s largest computer spanning nearly of the entire globe.
* Used by people worldwide, the Internet is used to describe the global system of interconnected networks as these are of computers of... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 03). The End. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-End-1488809.html
"The End" StudyMode.com. 03 2013. 2013. 03 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-End-1488809.html>.
- MLA 7
"The End." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 03 2013. Web. 03 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-End-1488809.html>.
"The End." StudyMode.com. 03, 2013. Accessed 03, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-End-1488809.html.