THE EDSA SHRINE
[pic]The EDSA Shrine, located at the crossroads of Epifanio de los Santos (EDSA) Avenue and Ortigas Avenue in Quezon City, is formally known as the Shrine of Mary, Queen of Peace (Our Lady of EDSA), It is dedicated to Our Lady who has miraculously interceded to oust the dictatorship in a peaceful and bloodless uprising that is now world renowned as the People Power Revolution of 1986. On December 15, 1989, the EDSA Shrine was established with then Rev. Fr. Socrates B. Villegas as Rector. Since then, the Church has grown with the help of volunteers who now have formally organized themselves into the EDSA Shrine Community. His Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin described the EDSA Shrine as Holy Ground when another miracle, the second peaceful People Power took place in January 2001. With the help of the Blessed Mother and Santo Niño, the people’s prayer for a moral leadership was answered. A Holy Ground marker was inaugurated at the EDSA Shrine on February 25, 2001 during the 15th anniversary of the first EDSA People Power.
A community of Christian servant-leaders that advocates love, peace, truth and unity, inspired by Mary, Queen of Peace, Our Lady of EDSA.
1. To build and strengthen a community of Christian servant-leaders who pray and work together as a family, ready to share the same communion of spirit of the EDSA Shrine Community
2. To evangelize individuals and communities, thus becoming witness of Christ
3. To foster love, peace, truth and unity to everyone with Mary as the model
1. To expand and increase membership and gain active involvement in the EDSA Shrine Community
2. To undertake activities to foster camaraderie and holistic development of each member
3. To network with other individuals and organized groups
4. To sponsor, conduct and/or participate in religious instructions, seminars, dialogues and fora
5. To provide social services to those in need
The idea of a shrine of peace to serve as a memorial of the People Power Revolution came as an inspired thought to His Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin two days after the dictator fled to exile in Hawaii.
The Cardinal was riding in the car together with Bishop Gabriel Reyes, then Auxiliary Bishop of Manila, en route to Camp Aguinaldo where they were to celebrate a Thanksgiving Mass. They came upon the intersection of EDSA and Ortigas, and Bishop Reyes pointed it out to the Cardinal as the spot where intrepid but gentle nuns and young men and women stood in front of the tanks and offered flowers to the soldiers.
At that corner, on an empty lot had stood two huge billboards of the Family Rosary Crusade, featuring the image of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the slogans, "The family that prays together stays together" and "A world at prayer is a world at peace." The felicitous coincidence could not but evoke the reality of Our Lady's presence at EDSA during the People Power Revolution.
Realizing this, the two could not help but recall the story of the "La Naval de Manila" and the Battle of Lepanto, which was fought on October 7, 1751. At this historic battle, Don Juan of Austria, with only a few ships defeated the Muslim Turks, whose ships had outnumbered theirs. Had the Turks won this battle, they could have overrun Europe, making the entire continent Muslim. The miraculous victory of the Christians was attributed to the intercession of the Blessed Mother to whom the people of Rome prayed unceasingly with their rosaries and in processions, asking for help to win the battle. To thank the Lord for the victory, Pope St. Pius V in 1572 instituted the feast of Our Lady of Victory. A year later, Pope Gregory X changed the name to the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary.
The Feast of La Naval de Manila was also instituted in thanksgiving to the Lord for another naval victory. During the Spanish times, the Protestant Dutch tried to conquer...