Using the table below, rate the leadership traits exhibited by Miranda Priestly in the movie “The Devil Wore Prada”. Use a scale of 1 to 10 indicating least to highest value. Scoring:
|Articulate |10 |8. Dependable |3 | |Perceptive |4 |9. Friendly |1 | |Self-Confident |10 |10. Outgoing |4 | |Self-assured |10 |11. Conscientious |9 | |Persistent |10 |12. Diligent |10 | |Determined |10 |13. Sensitive |1 | |Trustworthy |3 |14. Empathic |2 |
Questions: Note: Answers to these questions may or may not be the same. 1. Based on your observations, which leadership traits appear to be most important?
Her Self-Assured seems to be the most important trait. She knows what she wants, when she wants it, and how it is to be done. She knows that the people working for her fear/admire her and that even if she asks for the impossible, her employees are willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen.
2. Why do you think the employees of “Runway” were willing to follow Miranda Priestly?
Because she is one of the world’s top leading fashion designers. She is known by everyone in the fashion industry and is the editor-in-chief of the most popular New York fashion magazine “Runway”. They know that working for her will get them anywhere in the fashion world. Women all over the world would kill to have a job working for Miranda, because it screams “important”, “experience”, and “famous”. She is a very powerful woman. I believe that her employees follow her because they are intimidated by working for the woman who is in charge of leading the entire fashion industry with “Runway” the fashion bible of NY.
Part 2 – Leadership Style:
Place yourself in the role of the executive assistant to Miranda Priestly. Assess Miranda Priestly’s behaviors and their underlying assumptions Scoring:
|Style of Leadership |Corresponding Questions |Assessment |
Authoritarian Leadership |1 |4 |7 |10 |13 |16 |Total |Range | | |5 |5 |3 |5 |5 |4 |27 | | |Democratic Leadership |2 |5 |8 |11 |14 |17 | | | | |1 |1 |1 |1 |1 |2 |7 | | |Laissez-faire Leadership |3 |6 |9 |12 |15 |18 | | | | |1 |1 |1 |4 |1 |1 |9 | | |Questions:
1. Based on your observations, which leadership style do you believe Miranda Priestly is exhibiting? Any examples from the movie that support this answer?
I believe that she uses authoritarian as a leadership style. She is very harsh, her demeanor is aggressive, and she is very picky about how things should be done and when they have to be done. She never raises her voice or shouts and any of her employees. Her tone, diction, and poise all reflect how powerful and well respected (or intimidating) she is. Some examples of her authoritarian leadership are:
• (bell dings)
• Emily-Sorry, Miranda
• Miranda-I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to confirm an appointment?
• Emily- I know. I’m so sorry, Miranda. I actually did confirm last night.
• Miranda- Details of your incompetence do not interest me. Tell Simone I’m not going to approve that girl that she sent me for the Brazilian layout. I asked for clean, athletic, smiling. She sent me dirty, tired, and paunchy. And RSVP “Yes” to the Michel Kors party. I want the driver to drop me off at 9:30 and pick me up at 9:45 sharp....