The date was 1924, The place was a little community called Gerritsen Beach in Brooklyn, New York. Members of the community traveled far to Saint Marks in Sheepshead bay to attend mass. Community members brought attention to Bishop Molloy. He sent Father Edward J. Matthews to establish a parish in Gerritsen Beach. On July 13, 1924, Father Matthews took up a special collection to help build up a parish. The pledges reached $700, and this marked the “birth” of Resurrection.
Sunday masses were held at the Volunteer Firehouse & Father Matthews conducted masses on the lower floor of his double-attached house through out the week. Upper floors were used for social gatherings and community meetings. The population of this church grow and forced the Diocese to send yet another priest to assist Father Matthews. Father Thomas Judge along with Father Matthews continued as plans for a church were underway.
The new building would serve as a church, school, and convent for the Dominican Sisters of Kentucky who had taking on the mission of educating the children of the parish. Later on after the deaths of two past monsignors, Matthews & Cox, Father Ronaghan took on the mission of building a new building used excessively as a church. The church opened and celebrated its first mass on Easter Sunday in 1953. Father Shevlin soon took leadership of Resurrection. He organized many events that forever are imprinted in the community. In 1988 Father Shevlin was recognized by Pope John Paul II for his dedication and commitment to his parish. He was elevated to a member of the Papal Household, And was appointed very Reverend Monsignor Raymond R. Shevlin.
In 1992 Monsignor Shevlin retired from his active ministry and Monsignor Francis J. Fahy, a Former altar boy under Monsignor Shevlin took over. Monsignor Fahy continues today as the leader of Resurrection church. Unfortunate less and less enrollments have been made to the elementary school. And the school will...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document