The leader of your client organization has observed a lack of flexibility and a slow decision-making process in many of the departments. He believes that he is not serving his customers well, and has decided to move to a team environment and to push many of the decisions to the lowest possible levels. In other words, he wants to create a team-based, empowered organization. Several of his best managers are resisting the idea strongly. They not only feel that many employees are not ready for the change, but they also believe that they personally could never change from a "command and control" style to allowing more participation (Nahavandi, 2006, p. 54).
Your client has asked you to prepare a report in which you address the following questions:
1. How should the leader deal with the situation?
2. How are leading and managing different?
3. Is the CEO trying to lead or manage this change initiative?
4. What arguments can he use to persuade his managers?
5. What can he do to help his managers change their style?
6. What are the implications of his actions and decisions?
7. What would you recommend to the CEO given your analysis of his approach thus far
Objective: The Objective of the Unit 1 IP Assignment will involve the following the Course Outcomes and Grading Criteria with their respective percentages for the Grading Rubric:
1. Compare and contrast leadership and management, and understand their similarities and differences as well as the ethical challenges that managers face. (40%)
2. Discuss and explain when and why participation should be used to improve leadership effectiveness. (40%)
3. Apply critical thinking skills to analyze business situations. (20%) [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 08). The Art and Science of Science of Leadership. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 08, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Art-And-Science-Of-Science-762472.html
"The Art and Science of Science of Leadership" StudyMode.com. 08 2011. 08 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Art-And-Science-Of-Science-762472.html>.
"The Art and Science of Science of Leadership." StudyMode.com. 08, 2011. Accessed 08, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/The-Art-And-Science-Of-Science-762472.html.