The American Drean

Topics: United States, Private school, Race and Ethnicity Pages: 3 (994 words) Published: December 3, 2012
“Chasing The Dream”

The American Dream is a cultural myth that is commonly known throughout our society. The idea is that anyone who works hard will be compensated with success. According to Steven Conger, “The American Dream is that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement” (2). Many people get the dream confused with materialistic self-desires, but that is not the case. “It is not a dream of motor cars and high wages merely, but a dream of social order in which each man and each woman shall be able to attain to the fullest stature of which they are innately capable, and be recognized by others for what they are, regardless of the fortuitous circumstances of birth or position (2). America is in fact the home of the free, but just because people chase the dream does not mean they’ll catch it. The belief that people who work hard can achieve the “American Dream” is a myth because of racial and educational inequalities, scarce job opportunities, and the absence of adequate healthcare.

One of the major factors that prohibit people from achieving the “American Dream” is inequality. One form on inequality is educational inequality. Many people believe that a private school education will open more roads to success than a public school education. Today, 90% of Americans receive a public school education, leaving only 10% of the population attending private schools (Diplomatic 1). People feel that a private school education is overall better than a public school education because there are more highly qualified teachers and a more challenging curriculum. However, is that belief true? In fact, between 62-67% of public school graduates actually attend college in comparison to 90-95% private school graduates who attend college (Kennedy 1). “In todays economy, young men and women without college degrees are increasing consigned to low-wage jobs with little...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • American Encounters Final Essay
  • Essay on African Americans
  • What is an American? Essay
  • American Revolution Essay
  • american funerals Essay
  • American History Essay
  • American History Essay
  • Essay on american culture

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free