Avp English Project
Form A: research and Define Direct and Indirect Characterization Definition of Direct Characterization
* The process by which the personality of a fictitious character is revealed by the use of descriptive adjectives, phrases, or epithets. * The writer makes direct statement about a characters personality and tells what the character is like Source: http://www.fictionfactor.com , http://dictionary.reference.com Definition of Indirect Characterization
* The writer reveals information about a character and their personality through the character’s thought * The process by which the personality of a fictitious character is revealed through the character's speech, actions, appearance, etc. Source: http://www.fictionfactor.com , http://dictionary.reference.com Direct characterization is when the reader is told about the personality of a character (what they are like) in the text. Direct characterization tells, whereas indirect characterization shows. Indirect characterization is when the reader is told of the characters actions, words or thoughts and is left to devise how the character is instead.
From B: Suggested Short Stories
Thank you M’am by Langston Hughes
Form C: Characterization Examples From The Text
Thank you M’am
Direct Characterization in the text
1. He is a male
2. He looks frail
3. He is willow-wild
Indirect Characterization in the text
1. (“I’m very sorry , lady I’m sorry” )He got scared when the lady grabbed him 2. (“ I am going to wash your face “)He looks dirty in the face 3. (“He wanted to say something else other than “Thank You M’am”) He wanted to be polite
Form D: Character Traits Organizer
1. Roger is thin and frail
2. He does not have a clean face it has dirt all on it.
1. Roger was a neglected liar
2. He was also a dynamic character and was capable of changing, and was...