CMST & 220
Texting While Driving
To inform my audience about the laws , unsafe practices, and precautions pertaining to texting while driving. Specific Idea:
Over the years texting while driving has exploded in popularity. Even though there have been several fatal accidents caused by texting and driving people continue to do it. We are going to cover the laws, unsafe practices and the precautions you need to take while on the road
Imagine You’re on I-5 heading to Seattle. When you start to get close to the city center you are in stop and go traffic. You have been going the same slow speed for several miles now. All of the sudden you have to slam on your brakes and at that moment you are hit from behind. You can’t figure out why you have been hit. The traffic has been the same for miles. You quickly get out to check the damage when you realize that the person that hit you was texting instead of paying attention to the road. Through my personal experience of being hit and through my research I have discovered how dangerous texting while driving really can be. There are several reasons why you shouldn’t text and drive. It’s illegal, unsafe and precautions have to be taken when being around texting drivers.
Let’s first talk about the laws
A. Laws passed
1. In 2008 WA passed the law to make it illegal to text and drive 2. Illegal in 34 states
3. In 2009 president Obama passed a law banning Gov Employees from driving and texting B. Penalties if broken
1. Fines ranging from $20 to $500
2. WA state fine for texting while driving is $124
3. You face Jail time if texting causes an accident and severely injures or kills someone 4. Jail time ranges anywhere from 21 months to 15 years
Now that we have gone over the laws and penalties let’s talk about safety II. Safety
A. Unsafe Practices
1. Looking away from...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document