TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER.
The idea for the Texas Medical Center, Houston, was conceived by the trustees of the M.D. Anderson Foundationqv in the early 1940s. The foundation planned the first units of the center to be the University of Texas Hospital for Cancer Research and the Baylor University College of Medicine (now Baylor College of Medicineqv). A 134-acre site of city-owned property, adjacent to the Hermann Hospital grounds and adjoining Hermann Park, passed to the foundation from the city in 1944, after a popular vote authorized the sale in 1943. The Texas Medical Center, Incorporated, was organized and received title to the land in 1945, at which time a board of directors assumed responsibility for development and coordination of the center under the leadership of president Ernst William Bertner. Designed to attract institutions related to health education, research, and patient care, the center assembled staffs, provided facilities, and developed programs necessary to assure the highest standards of attainment in medicine. The various programs were directed jointly by independent institutions. Between 1951 and 1955 facilities were completed for University of Texas M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute (now the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Centerqv), Methodist Hospitalqv, Arabia Temple Crippled Children's Clinic (now Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Children), Texas Medical Center Library (Jesse H. Jones Library Building), Texas Children's Hospital, St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, and the University of Texas Dental Branchqv. Expansion during 1959 and 1960 included the Texas Institute for Rehabilitation and Research, Houston Speech and Hearing Institute, Houston State Psychiatric Institute for Research and Training, Texas Woman's University, Houston Center, and the Institute of Religion (see ROTHKO CHAPEL). During that period the Texas Medical Center joined with Baylor University College of Medicine to activate a joint administration...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document