The telephone is still a key method of communication & thus proper telephone techniques is an important part of a top-notch business. On a phone call the only impression a customer gets is that of your voice and the manner in which you speak. In order to project the most positive & friendly image one should follow the simple tips below. Tips for Telephone Etiquette
1. Ask the caller, "To whom am I speaking?"
2. Avoid unnecessary jargon and acronyms in your conversations. 3. Use the caller’s name in your conversation.
4. Practice good listening skills.
5. Make sure you speak clearly and are smiling as you answer the phone; also identify yourself. 6. Before placing a caller on hold, ask their permission first and thank them 7. It is better to return a call than to keep someone on hold too long. If the phone rings back to you, you've kept them on hold too long. 8. Do not forget to return the call as you promised.
9. Do not permit the phone to ring into the office more than three times. 10. Always use a pleasant, congenial and friendly tone.
11. Never interrupt the person while he/she is talking to you. 12. Never engage in an argument with a caller.
15. Do not answer the phone if you are eating or chewing gum. 16. Do not give the impression that you are rushed. It is better to return the call when you can give the person the time they need to handle the reason for their call. 17. Learn how to handle several callers simultaneously with ease and grace 18. Return calls promptly that have been left on voice mail and ansafones. 19. Always get the best number (and an alternate) and the best time to have a call returned to the caller, especially if a manager or another team member must return the call. 20. Do not ever leave a message with someone else or on an ansafone or voice mail regarding details of a delinquent account. Instead, leave a message asking the person to call the "Accounting Department." 21. Always make collection calls in private and away...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document