A Descriptive Paper
Presented to the Faculty of
College of Arts and Sciences
University of the Cordilleras
In Partial Fulfilment
of the Requirements of the Course
LLOUELA B. ASIM
TABLE OF CONTENTS
TABLE OF CONTENTS2
CHAPTER I: INTRODUCTION7
CHAPTER II: BODY9
DIFFERENT MEDIA OF COMMUNICATION9
TEENAGERS’ INCLINATION OF MODERN COMMUNICATION12
THE IMPACT OF TEENAGERS’ PREFERENCE IN COMMUNICATION TO INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIP16
CHAPTER III: CONCLUSION21
LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS
Chart 1. Use of Digital Communication
Chart 2. Daily Use of Social and Digital Communications
Chart 3. Why Face-to-Face Communication if Preferred
Table 1. Impact of Social Networking on Relationships
Table 2. Social networking and friendships
TEENAGER’S COMMUNICATION PREFERENCE IN THE MODERN WORLD
Thesis Statement: In the 21st century, persons aged 13-19 prefer the convenience of social media and telecommunications; however, this teenager’s preferencecan either be beneficial or detrimental to our relationship to other people. Statement of Purpose:
1. How was modern communication developed?
2. Why do teenagers prefer the following media of communication: a. Social media
3. How do the different media of communication affect the relationship of teenagers to other people?
I. Introduction: The Development of Modern Communication II. Body
A. Different Media of Modern Communication
1. Static media
2. Electronic media
a. Analogue telecommunications(telephony,radio,tv)
b. Digital telecommunications(computer-mediated)
3. Face-to-face communication
B. Teenager’s Inclination of Modern Communication
1. Classification of Social Mediaand Purpose of Use
a. Collaborative Projects (e.g. Wikipedia)
b. Blogs and Micro blogs (e.g. Twitter)
c. Content Communities (e.g. YouTube)
d. Social Networking Sites (e.g. Facebook)
e. Virtual Game Worlds (e.g., World of War craft)
f. Virtual Social Worlds (e.g. SecondLife)
2. Face-to-face communication as a preference of teenagers C. The Impacts of Teenager’s Preference in Communication to Interpersonal Relationships 1. Beneficial influence of social media to the relationship of teenagers to other people 2. Detrimental influence of social media to the relationship of teenagers to other people 3. Beneficial influence of face-to-face communication to the relationship of teenagers to other people 4. Detrimental Impacts of face-to-face communication to the relationship of teenagers to other people III. Conclusion
The following are the most important aspects:
1. The different kinds of media include the static media (i.e. telephones, radio and television) and electronic media (i.e. computer.
2. The electronic media, also known as telecommunication helps in long-distance communication through one of the most widely media, the internet.
3. The media can affect the social relationship of a teenager user and half of all teens are on their site on a daily basis, thus also affecting their face-to-face interactions.
The following are the findings of the research:
1. Teenagers prefer face-to-face interaction rather than digital communication.
2. The usage of social media is more beneficial than detrimental to the user’s relationship to other people.
3. Social media is used mostly for its convenience and mobility while face-to-face communication is preferred for its more intimate setting.
The social media affects the other aspects of a teenagers’ life. Concerns regarding cyber bullying, self-confidence and other emotional effects should be known. Internet or Social Networking addiction should be studied and its impact on the social and...