* Family crisis- family loss, parents separation or divorce * Psychological problems- anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, insomnia, or alcohol/drug use. * Family history of depression or suicide
* Being victims of bullying
* A previous suicide attempt
* Feelings of isolation from others, family or peers; hopelessness. * Emotional, physical, or sexual abuse.
Teen suicide is preventable, so being aware of the warning signs is important. (American Psychological Association)
* Taking about Dying – any mention of dying, shooting oneself, or other types of self harm
*Recent Loss – through death, divorce, broken relationship, loss of interest in friends and hobbies. *Change in personality – sad, withdrawn, irritable, anxious, tired, or indecisive. *Change in sleep Patterns – Change in Eating Patterns – insomnia, early waking or oversleeping, nightmares. *Change in Eating Habits – loss of appetite and weight, or overeating. *Low Self Esteem - Feeling worthless, shame, overwhelming guilt, self-hatred. Indication of a suicidal plan((Teen Suicide):
*Actually says about committing suicide.
*Giving away or throwing away favorite belongings.
* Shows signs of extreme cheerfulness following periods of depression. * Creates suicide notes....