Teen Depression

Topics: Major depressive disorder, Bipolar disorder, High school Pages: 7 (1534 words) Published: January 24, 2011

The research project my group and I decided to do was on teen depression. We wanted teens to be more familiar with this major teen issue and how it affects our daily lives. Teen depression is a major concern and it is not fully acknowledged within high schools. Many people even adults don’t understand the results of teen depression. The statistics on teen depression are sobering. Studies indicate that one in five children have some sort of mental, behavioral, or emotional problem, and that one in ten may have a serious emotional problem. Some quick facts, one in eight teens may suffer from depression. Of all these children and teens struggling with emotional and behavioral problems, 30 % of these teens receive any sort of intervention or treatment. The other 70% simply struggle through the pain of mental illness or emotional trauma doing their best to get by in life. Overall teen depression is a concern among young adults and needs to be more aware within high schools.


Our survey we conducted was on teen depression and how it affects their daily lives. We asked twenty questions about basic teen depression and handed it out to approximately fifty students. Some basic question we asked was general information about gender, grade, and age. We went into detail more by asking “Are you aware of teen depression”, and “Do you think teen depression is a serious concern”, “Where you were born”, “What is your ethnicity” or “Have you ever felt depressed”. All questions on our survey were in the multiple choice format. We conducted the survey at school by handing surveys out to two class’s one in grade 9 and the other grade 12. After the teens completed the survey, we tallied the 20 questions up and found some interesting information.

Background Research:

Depression is a serious illness that can affect your entire life. It can affect your thoughts, feelings, behavior, and your overall health. Teenage depression is not just your typical bad moods or bad days you have. Depression impacts a teenagers life in ever way and is a serious problem. Most people with depression can be helped with treatment. The majority of depressed teens don’t get the help they need. And when depression isn’t treated, it can get worse, last longer, and prevent you from getting the most out of your life. Remember, you’re only a teenager once. Untreated teens can have troubles at school, start mixing with the wrong people, drug use, troubles at home and even tragedies such as homicidal violence or suicide. There are two common types of depression, the first one: The sad kind, called major depression, dysthymia or reactive depression. The second kind called manic depression or bipolar illness, when you feel down and depressed alternates with being speeded-up and sometimes acting reckless.

Examples of what you feel like when you’re depressed:

- Feel sad or cry a lot and it doesn’t go away
- You feel guilty for no reason;
- Feel like you’re no good, you’ve lost your confidence
- Life seems meaningless, no point of living
- Negative attitude all of the time
- Become lazy, don’t feel like doing anything
- Want to be left alone most of the time, do your own thing
- Forget things, and it’s hard to concentrate
- Get irritated often, short tempered
- Your sleep pattern changes start sleeping a lot more or have troubles falling asleep - Eating habits change, you lose your appetite
- You think about death, or feel like dying or have thoughts about committing suicide

If you are depressed or feel as if someone is depressed talk to someone, get help for yourself or a friend. Don’t feel embarrassed or shy to ask someone, it’s something you need to look at or it can turn into something bad. Having depression doesn’t mean your weak, or a failure it just means you need treatment. There are many people who can help you with your depression illness.

• A psychologist
• Your school counsellor
• Your parents, or a...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Depression Essay
  • Essay about Depression
  • Stigma and Depression Essay
  • Depression Paper
  • Progression of Depression Essay
  • Depression Paper
  • Depression-Paper
  • Bipolar Depression Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free