Technology Options for Securing Market for Remote Gases

Topics: Natural gas, Petroleum, Technology Pages: 2 (541 words) Published: November 2, 2012
Deepshikha Dixit, Bachelor’s in Oil & Gas, University of Petroleum & Energy Studies

Over the past few decades the oil and natural gas industry has transformed into one of the most technologically advanced industries. New innovations have reshaped the industry into technology leader. Natural gas is one of the most abundant energy resources on the planet, yet more than one-third of global natural gas reserves remain stranded and undeveloped. Cross-country pipelines are used to transport 70% of gas internationally and remaining 30% by LNG. Different and modern technologies are developed in past few years but still many of the remote gas fields are not commercialized yet. For example, Middle East has largest oil reserves i.e. 33.8% of the world (till the end of 1999) but when highest production of oil and gas are analysed all over the world, Russia and North America comes on the top most position, middle-east produces only 8% of oil. Whereas N.A. has only 5% and Russia 23.7% oil reserves (till the end of 1999) (source: BP Statistic Review – Society for the study of gas market problem in METI Japan). The major problem observed here is “commercialization” of oil and gas market. To transport natural gas to major natural gas markets, pipeline and LNG are fully commercialized. Technologies like GTL, Gas to Wire – HVDC are also commercial but it requires technology development to improve efficiency.CNG and Gas to Solids- Hydrates is under R&D, not commercial yet no projects are sanctioned. Distance to market and potential production volumes influences the technologies that might viably be used to exploit remote gas fields. Niche markets exist for CNG and smaller scale LNG and GTL projects for gas fields with modest reserves. CNG technologies introduction is seen as a third competitive alternative to move gas to the markets.CNG is good for smaller volumes and small distances over marine delivery routes. It has...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Global Noble Gases Market Essay
  • Export Market Entry Options Essay
  • Currency Futures and Option Markets Essay
  • Green Technology Essay
  • Application of Remote Sensing Technology in Agriculture Essay
  • Essay on Technology and the Stock Market
  • technology Essay
  • Stock Market and Stock Option Plan Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free